Council Meeting Minutes: May

By May 20, 2019 September 1st, 2019 Latest News, Uncategorized

Club Council Meeting

Tuesday 14th May 2019 at 6:30pm 

Minutes 

Members attendance : 

Present :          Nigel Davies (Captain), Dawn Thompson (Ladies Captain), Gareth Roberts (President),

Dave Palferman (Vice Captain), Christine Evans (Treasurer), Irwin Elkin (Handicap Sec.), Don Wraight (Seniors Captain), Jane Evans (Junior Organiser)

Apologies :      Dave Riley (Secretary), Graham Davidson Clarke (Competition Organiser),

Josh Green (Management)

  1. Minutes of previous meeting : Proposed (GR) Seconded (DW). Accepted as a true record. 
  1. Matters arising from previous meeting : 

The new lifebuoys have been put in place on the course. Many thanks to Chris Jones (Immediate Past Captain) for his generous donation of these.

The Club Members’ Constitution has been updated in light of decisions made at the AGM.

Prices have been obtained for the renewal of the defibrillator pads and batteries. ND to research best price and purchase accordingly.

  1. Management Update (JG)

JG had previously provided a written update on the questions asked during the previous Council meeting :

  • Tees To Full Width

JG asked Mark about making the tees full width for competitions. His response was that the tees will take longer to recover as the damage will be spread out and not in a targeted area. Therefore he has declined to make the change.

  • Halfway House & Toilet

JG spoke to Bill Lewis about the halfway house and he is keen to explore the idea further. JG and ND to have a site meeting with Mr Lewis to discuss further.

  • Membership Renewals

All membership renewals and club fee invoices have now been posted. 

  1. Mens section (DP)

The DGU Spring meeting took place at Wrexham Golf Club on Sunday 7th April with a good representation from Clays. Congratulations go to Paul Stevenson and Mick McHugh who finished 5th on count back with 44 points, just one point behind the winners. There were 2s for M Williams and G Jones.

Ping Wales Mixed Team round 1:-

Clays played Abersoch at a very windy Conwy. Clays won 2-1. Next round is v Llangollen to be played at Mold.

The Annodata first round took place over the weekend of 14th April. Clays ‘A’ playing away at High Leigh Golf Club. Clays lost 3½  – 1½

The ‘B’ team received a bye in round one but then lost 2 ½ – 1 ½ to Northop in round two on 12th  May.

We received a good response to our call for members to participate in the DGU Team. A core group of 20 players have been identified with a further five in reserve. New team shirts have been purchased in a bright yellow colour with the Clays logo on the left chest and DGU League Winners and 4 stars on the right chest. The team for the first match away against Moss Valley on Sunday 26th May has been selected.

The Clays Past Captains (2018) event has been arranged for Sunday 19th May. Thanks to Paul Williams for organising this event.

One team from Clays will be taking part in the Welsh Teams Handicap qualifier competition at Northop on Sunday 19th May.

Information regarding the DGU County Captain’s Day (to be held at Clays) has been posted on the noticeboard. DP will also be sending out an email to members.

  1. Senior section (DW)

The Seniors played a match away at Aldersley Green winning 7½ – 2½ but lost the match v Old Padeswood 7 – 3.

The Seniors April Medal was held on the 18th :

Division  1 :

1st        Martin Povey                          2nd        Dave Palferman

Division 2 :

1st        Damian Atkin                         2nd        Dilly Jones

May Seniors Medal results

Thursday 2nd May

Division 1 :

1st         Andrew Mitchell        2nd        Don Wraight

Division 2 Result

1st          Mike Hollings            2nd         Dave F Jones

Thursday 2nd May –  9 Hole Qualifier Results

1st           Irwin Elkin                2nd          Bob Brown

New rules that were introduced in January are now available to view on the Seniors blog

The Arscott Seniors Open was cancelled due to a waterlogged course and it has now been rearranged to 5th  June, a clash with the June Seniors Medal. Individual members to decide which competition they wish to take part in.

  1. Ladies section (DT)

Clays won the Ladies match v Llangollen GC 3½ – 1½

Dawn Thompson and Jane Evans are through to the 3rd Round of the Daily Mail competition.

  1. Junior Section (JE)

Clays are hosting the regional qualifier for the Wee Wonders National Junior Competition for ages 6-11 on Sunday 19th June. 

  1. Competition & Handicap sub-committee (GDC/IE)

It was agreed that DP will be responsible for any DGU competitions and GDC will be responsible for all other competitions. Paul Lloyd, Paul Williams and Mike Jones are also involved in organising external team comps.

IE : All competitions are now on the computer and so any handicap adjustments will occur automatically.

IE passed on the Wales Golf Club Survey 2018 booklet to ND for subsequent distribution to the other individual members of the Council.

 

  1. Social sub-committee (ND/GR)

The Social Committee met on Tuesday, 30th April. The social events for the year will be spread over the next 11 months and planned in order to maximise attendance. All events will be costed on the basis that they will be self financing.

Some events will aim to raise funds for the Captains’ charities, whilst others will see the proceeds going towards members’ funds.  The proposal is that these would then be passed on as the members’ contribution towards the cost of setting up and running a new ‘halfway house’.

ND will be liaising with the fundraising coordinator of the Wrexham Prostate Cancer group in order to plan at least one music event to be hosted at the club with all proceeds going to the charity.

A number of suggestions were put forward for events, both social and golfing (or both).

ND met with Hayley re catering and associated costs for the above events.

ND & DT to organise any raffles during the year.

ND to raise the idea of introducing a “200 Club” in the May Captain’s Newsletter in order to gauge interest.

GR to chase up the disco for Captains’ Day on 13th July.

Next meeting : Tuesday, 28th May at 6.30 p.m. 

  1. Financial report (CE)

CE presented the monthly Finance Report as at 5th May 2019.

103 Levy payments have been received to date, with others arriving on the day of the meeting.

ND to check with JG if any levy payments have been received from Points or Corporate members. IE to pass on a list of non-payees to DW and JG for follow-up. 

  1. Correspondence

No correspondence had been received. 

  1. Any other business

Distance Markers/Course Rating and changes :

DW and JG have been investigating the official measurement of the course. One possibility that DW has investigated is to get a surveyor to do the measurement, which would cost £60. This would represent a considerable saving on previous quotes. DW to ascertain if the surveyor could then provide the required certification. If so, the Council agreed to pay the £60 fee. DW to liaise with JG.

It was agreed that the Red Penalty Areas would be retained to the left of the 4th ,13th and 15th fairways. It was also agreed that the drop zones on the 5th and 17th would be moved on to the fairways.

Captains’ and President’s Official Photographs :

GR recommended ProMedia photography in Wrexham. ND to contact with a view to making appointments.

Because of the lack of space for Past Captains’ photographs, IE suggested an additional rail be constructed above the bar but with measurements which meant that standard size frames could be inserted. ND to contact Chris Jones re possibility. 

  1. Date of next meeting : Tuesday 4th June @ 6:30pm